- the name
- meta title and keywords
- upload images for the item
- set the price ( regular, sale and wholesale )
- catalog number ( if used )
- weight or units for shipping
- active or not
- if it's a wholesale item or not
- if it's out of stock
- discount pricing
- what categories it belongs in
In the 2nd screen you'll set up options for this item, such as:
- fields to collect info for customizing the item
- add-on items ( you can let them include a matching item )
- add gift wrapping
- and more...
In the 3rd screen you'll set:
- Inventory amounts
- related items
Let's start on the first screen!
Go to Products
Click on "Products" from anywhere in your storeadmin - once you're logged in.
Add a new item
Click Add to add your item
Item name, description, keywords and meta title
(1) Enter your items name - be descriptive. This name will be displayed on the catalog page, and will also be shown in the shopping cart when a customer orders it. If this item is a pink bow, don't just name it "bow "- name it "Hot Pink Bow for Girls" ( or something similar ) Don't use any special characters ( apostrophes, colons..etc ) as this can cause problems.
(2) Enter a description for your item. This would be everything you want the customer to know about this particular item. What it looks like, what it's made of..etc.
(3) Keywords for this item. These will be shown as the meta keywords and also serve as search terms when someone uses your search box to find items on your site.
(4) Meta title - this is your items meta title. It will be what is viewed in the browser's top most bar ( usually blue ). It's also what appears as the clickable link in a search engine's results page - when someone searches Google ( or any other search engine ) for "pink bow" this is what will be the clickable link on the result pages listing all sites with pink bows.
Upload your images
(1) Here's where you upload your item images. You can have a total of 3 separate images for each item. Notice that each image consists of 1 thumbnail and 1 large image. If you have selected any of the product layouts other then the grid layout ( in Catalog Setup ) the thumbnail is what will display on the main category pages, which when clicked will open up a popup window to the accompanying large image.
NOTE: By default only 1 set of image upload fields is displayed in the product add/edit screen, but you have the option to set up your store to show up to 3 per item. You can do this in the Catalog Setup area.
In the Single, Double, Triple Product Layouts - if you have more then one image, the thumbnails will show tiered one on top of the other, clicking to the larger image of each.
In the 2,3,4,5,6 Column Layouts - the thumnail in the first slot ( highlighted above ) will appear on the main category page but when clicked it won't open a popup, instead the customer is taken to a separate product detail page which will then show the item's large images ( only - no thumbnails ) plus item's details such as description, price, options, buy button.
(2) Catalog# - Enter a catalog number if you wish to associate a stock number or UPC code with a particular item. This number will appear in the catalog and in the shopping cart.
(3) Enter the general price of this item, even if you are adding additional price discounts or option prices. This price is used as the base price of the item, and is utilized for the price search.
(4) Wholesale % - If the wholesale page is active, you will be able to set a wholesale percent here, which will be applied to that item if a wholesale vendor is logged in. This value can be overridden for any wholesale vendor as needed. Wholesale percents are added on top of any retail prices, after the base price and option prices have been set, and any sale price or product discounts have been applied. Wholesale percents will not be calculated if a customer is logged in with a coupon.
(5) Active Item - If this is a stocked item, set this product as active. If you wish to temporarily not show this item, you can set this as inactive until you are ready to display the item.
(6) Featured Item - If you wish for this item to be displayed as a featured item, you can set the "Featured" field to "Yes". This will display the item when a customer clicks the "Featured" link, and will also show the item in the side feature bar if it is available for your site.
(7) Shipping Units - Enter a number here if you wish to set shipping units for this item. Shipping units would be used if you use weight to figure shipping costs, but are not required if you ship flat rate or calculate shipping some other way.
(8) On Sale Price - If this item is on sale, you can enter the sale price here. Sale prices will be applied to the base price, so any option prices, quantity price discounts, coupons or wholesale prices will be applied after the sale price is set.
(9) Display - If the wholesale page is active, this field will set a product as available to wholesalers only or to retail customers too. If "WS Only" is selected, the item will only show if a vendor is successfully logged in as a wholesale vendor.
(10) Out of Stock - If an item is out of stock, you can set this field to `No` and the item will either not be displayed or will be shown as "out of stock", depending on the way you have the catalog settings configured for out of stock items.
Price Discounts - If you wish to set price discounts for quantity purchases, you can enter the quantity breaks and discount levels here. For each discount break, enter a level to start the product discounts and a percent or amount to discount the item. The discounts will be applied after the sale price has been set, and before any wholesale discounts or coupon discounts are set. You can mix dollars and percents if desired.
ex.) A store wishes to offer a discount of $1.00 off the total price when 2 items are purchased, $2.25 off the total price when 3 to 6 items are purchased, and 10% off the total price when 7 or more are purchased. They will use the following settings:
2 or more - 1 ($ off)
3 or more - 2.25 ($ off)
7 or more - 10 (% off)
NOTE: By default this feature is turned off but can be turned on in the Catalog Setup area
Select a catagory for your tiem
Category 1 - Category 5 - Select up to five different categories to associate this item with. Select only end level categories; the items will automatically appear in the main categories if the catalog settings allow it.
Add Options - it your item will have options, such as size, color, you want to collect info for customizing, or if you need to add inventory or related items, click Add Options to go to the next screen.
Save - Click Save if you won't be using options, inventory, or related items